Sunday, January 5, 2020

blah blah Disclaimer blah yadda yadda

I'm not sure if I should have to say this or not, but I guess these days you've got to play it safe. I'm not a doctor. I don't work in the medical field. If you have stumbled across my blog because Dr. Google thought this matched a bunch of symptoms you were typing in their search engine, please know that nothing you find here is to be considered medical advice. If you haven't been diagnosed with hemilegic migraines, complex migraines or haven't been to an actual doctor yet, PLEASE get your droopy self to an ER immediately. The danger of a stroke is no joke, man. Seriously, you're wasting valuable time. Get there. Even those of us who have been diagnosed with this sh*t show have to be cautious about missing signs of a stroke, and/or mistaking them for another migraine.

Please also know that every journey is different. What works for one person will not work for another. Our triggers may not be the same. Symptoms can change throughout this condition, so I may have experienced some that you haven't yet or never will, and vice versa. Our treatments may be similar, but results may not be. I make choices that I'm sure others wouldn't. I choose not to use any type of narcotic medication, and am grateful that I have a physician who respects that, but if that's the path you've chosen, that's all you, Babe. Pain, paralysis and the incredible inconvenience of HM all suck. It can take an emotional toll. Sometimes the meds (especially the guinea pig phase) can make that even worse. I'm not here to judge, and ask that any comments posted, whether toward me or other readers, stay kind in nature. There are no pissing contests allowed here.

If you're here post diagnosis, welcome. I can't tell you how to cure them (spoiler alert, there's no cure), but I am happy to share my hemiplegic migraine experiences with you and share what has helped make life more manageable for me so far. If you're here because a loved one was diagnosed and you're trying to get more info, well, you rock for wanting to understand. Whichever scenario brought HM into your life, keep learning, try to have patience and no matter what looks different physically, please remember that the same person is living in that sometimes crooked body. Despite the pain, the brain fog, the back and forth of a face and limbs looking and working the way they should, we're here and we want normal back, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"I get headaches, too" and other phrases that would make you scream (if only it weren't for this damned migraine pain)

Quickest way to annoy a migraine sufferer? Tell them you get headaches, too. The typical headache that a non-migraineur experiences from hav...